Caring for Newly Permed Hair
Perms are great for adding volume and ringlets without the everyday heat from your styling tools.
However, it does use heavy-duty chemical processing which means your hair becomes fragile and requires special care to retain a healthy, glossy shine.
The first couple of days after a perm are quite delicate because the chemical solutions are still reshaping your hair shafts.
Here are some hair care tips for newly permed hair:
1. Refrain from washing your hair for 48 hours after your treatment. Washing can disturb the hair proteins as they are locking into their shapes in those first hours.
2. Avoid ponytails or buns. Leave your hair loose the first few days. Avoid hair elastics and tight clips that can leave dents on your hair.
3. Refrain from brushing or combing the hair during this time. Use your fingers and run them through your hair to smooth it out.
4. Wash your hair with a gentle moisturizing shampoo for chemically treated hair on the 3rd day. These shampoos have natural, soothing ingredients for those stressed locks after a perm. Gently massage your hair and rinse thoroughly with warm water, never hot.
5. Apply a deep conditioner formulated for permed hair after you shampoo. They will help your hair rehydrate after the process making it look nourished, glossy and natural after a perm. Leave the conditioner in for about five minutes.
6. Comb through the hair while it is covered in the conditioner with a wide-tooth comb. This will remove any tangles and encourage the conditioner to hug every strand. Use gentle strokes and only make a couple of passes at each section.
7. Rinse out the conditioner thoroughly with warm water and towel dry your hair. Do not comb or brush your tresses after the shower, especially in the first couple weeks after a perm. Avoid combing your perm when it is dry. Smooth through with your fingers when you need to freshen up the style.
Follow these tips to give your perm a more lasting hold and help keep your hair healthier for longer.
Call Us On 08 9418 8874